As in many other countries, setting up a Safety And Health Committee in Malaysia is crucial for ensuring workplace safety and promoting the well-being of employees. This committee will be responsible for the development of safety and health rules and safe systems of work and reviewing their effectiveness. They will also carry out studies & report to the employer of any unsafe or unhealthy conditions or practices at the place of work, together with recommendations for corrective actions; and to the employer for any revision of such policies.
The importance of establishing such a committee lies in several key aspects:
1. Legal ComplianceEstablishing a health and safety committee helps organizations comply with the legal requirements outlined in the Occupational Safety & Health Act 1994 (OSHA). So what must employers do to comply with the Occupational Safety and Health act? The Act mandates the formation of such committees in workplaces with a certain number of employees or when dealing with hazardous activities or substances.
According to Occupational Safety and Health OSH Act 1994
2. Hazard Identification and Risk AssessmentThe committee plays a vital role in identifying workplace hazards, evaluating risks, and implementing appropriate control measures. By involving employees and management representatives in the committee, a wider range of perspectives can be considered, leading to more comprehensive hazard identification and risk assessment processes.
3. Employee Participation and Engagement
The committee serves as a platform for employees to actively participate in matters related to health and safety. The employees are the ones who would be more aware of safety and helth concerns as it involves their daily routine at work. Communicating with the committee allows them to voice their concerns, contribute suggestions, and collaborate with management to improve safety standards. This engagement fosters a positive safety culture and empowers employees to take ownership of their well-being.
4. Empowering Workplace Safety
The health and safety committee plays an essential role in promoting safety awareness and practices among employees. It facilitates the dissemination of safety-related information, organizes training programs, and encourages the adoption of safe work practices. This helps prevent accidents, injuries, and occupational illnesses, leading to a safer work environment. A safe and productive work culture thrives when it is practised at all levels.
Read more about Empowering Health & Safety Committee by MySHEQA
5. Continuous Improvement
The committee’s existence promotes ongoing evaluation and improvement of health and safety standards within the organization. It allows for regular monitoring of safety performance, review of incident reports, and implementation of corrective actions. By continuously striving for improvement, workplaces can enhance their safety systems and prevent accidents in the long run.
Checkout HSEClick for upcoming public training related to Setting up a winning health and safety committee
6. Positive Organizational Image
Establishing a health and safety committee demonstrates an organization’s commitment to employee welfare, which can enhance its reputation and credibility. It sends a positive message to employees, customers, and stakeholders that the organization prioritizes safety and values the well-being of its workforce.
In conclusion, setting up a health and safety committee in Malaysia is essential for legal compliance, hazard identification, employee participation, safety promotion, continuous improvement, and maintaining a positive organizational image. By actively involving employees in the committee, organizations can foster a culture of safety and create a healthier and more productive work environment.
If you are interested in setting up a health and safety committee at your workplace, but are unsure of how to start, we may assist you through our programs catered to help build effective committees in organizations.